Smoke-free housing offers benefits for both tenants and property managers. A poll conducted by the Chicago Tobacco Prevention Project in November 2010 found that nearly 90 percent of people are aware of the dangers of secondhand smoke, and about one third of current Chicago renters say they would be willing to pay more for smoke-free housing options.
Renters are increasingly aware of the dangers of second-hand smoke, and expectations of a smoke-free environment are becoming the norm. By making a building smoke-free, property managers can save between hundreds and thousands of dollars in turnover costs for smoking units.
- Download our smoke-free housing toolkit – also in Spanish
- Search for smoke-free properties
- Learn how to make your building smoke-free as a renter
- Learn about the benefits of smoke-free housing for property managers and owners
- Read about smoke-free housing in the news